Aim: The aim of the active learning methods module is to offer teachers specific, practical active learning methods to be used in English lessons on various topics, with various age groups and textbooks. This is a very practical module, where at the end of the day the teacher's set of active learning methods has greatly increased as well as having created a specific studying method corresponding to their needs in class.
Length: 6 academic lessons, one study day.
- What are active learning methods and what are they for?
- How does basic text from a textbook become an active learning method?
- Advantages and pitfalls of active learning methods.
- Information collection
- Running dictation
- Few-minute speeches
- Unprepared conversation situations and role plays
- Texts with blanks
- Problem-based learning
- Competitive learning
- Combining picture descriptions with knowledge of culture and geography
For every subcategory many different methods are introduced with instructions for execution and evaluation as well as example tools. The teacher has a possibility to try out different methods during the training and in the end create a customized ready-for-use active learning method based on what they experienced and learned.