Module V: Global Dialects in English (from autumn 2015)
Aim: The aim of this module is to provide teachers with methods for using global dialects in lessons and to offer specific tools for introducing different global dialects in English classes. In addition to the methods and tools mentioned, the lesson will also entail review of basic rules of various English dialects and role plays for practising them. The aim of the training is to bring teachers' attention to the fact, that in the 21st century it is vital to know of, and understand, dialects such as Indian English in addition to the standard British or American English, because in the globalised modern society people interact evermore with people, for whom English is not their first language and English classes should offer some preparation for this.
Length: 6 academic lessons, one study day.
Topics: During the global dialects' training the following topics will be discussed:
- Why do we need to handle global dialects in class?
- How to handle global dialects in class?
- What are the unique characteristics of the main dialects?
- Where to find material for introducing a specific dialect in class?
- What methods should be used for introducing a specific dialect in class?
During the training, the following global English dialects will be covered: